Boatbuilding Blog

October 14, 2007

Some Interior Photos

Filed under: Uncategorized — tomlarkin @ 10:45 am

Now that I can see what the spaces look like I’m starting to think about the interior layout. I have a lot of glassing to do before I start adding anything though.  The boards that the chairs are sitting on are about 9 inches above the actual pilothouse sole. You’ll step down when entering the pilothouse. It looks like the cabin will be about 4 1/2 feet wide inside.

Facing the bow

I added an 18 inch deep bay window behind the stern so I can work behind the boat more easily this winter. Clear plastic for the window lets in more light.

Facing aft

I dragged a big 20′ by 30′ tarp over the whole tent because the top started leaking along the ridge. This ‘Wedding Canopy’ tent was designed to be up for a week during a June wedding, so I can’t complain too much that it’s having problems after 8 months in the weather. I tried to order a replacement top via EBay, with no luck. I tied lines to every grommet around the tarp and ran the lines down to screw-eyes into the foundation. That’s about 40 lines! Last winter I was so nervous about the whole thing blowing away that I ran anchor lines over the top just in case.  I’ll be able to relax more this winter, I hope.

The real boat looks a lot like the model I made last winter. I’m kind of surprised for some reason :-)

DSCN0939

October 2, 2007

Flipped!

Filed under: Building - Before Flipping, Building - Cabin, Building - Interior — tomlarkin @ 1:37 pm

We flipped her over yesterday. With the great help of two friends – Jim and Eric, we got the task done in just a few hours. Not even any injuries!

There were some challenges – mostly that the tent it’s in is only three feet wider than the boat and only 18 inches higher than the beam of the boat. And the tent frame is too fragile to fasten anything to for lifting. So what we did was to spin it more-or-less in place, using ropes and come-alongs.

 

Here’s a sequence showing the whole process.

(Link to full-size images, hosted on Microsoft SkyDrive.)

Saturday morning I raised the stern with a hydraulic jack, set it on sawhorses, and dismantled the strongback. The bow is resting on the stem piece.

DSCN1431

Then I swept and vacuumed below.  I built a sled from a sheet of plywood with steel eyes to hook 2 come-alongs to.

a

Then I slowly lowered the stern to the deck. I jacked up one side of the boat so most of the weight was on the sled.  Meanwhile, I ran four lines (2 on each side) from the internal bracing around the boat and through holes punched in the tent walls to solid points on either side. The South side mounted to the house, and the North side went to a canoe rack I’d installed a couple of years ago.  I replaced one of the South lines with a webbing-style come-along because I knew that would be the line that needed most of the lifting force. You can see the lines below.

b

Early Sunday afternoon the guys showed up and we jacked the North side up bit by bit until all the weight was on the sled. We took up the slack on the South side lines and removed the supports and the boat stayed up like we hoped it would.

c

More lifting. You can see the temporary diagonal braces bolted to the bulkheads. At this point we couldn’t raise any more because the side of the boat hit the tent poles on the South side. So we slid the bottom corner of the boat North using the come-alongs hooked to the sled.

d

More sliding. We’re approaching the point where she will want to fall to the left instead of the right, so we tightened up the North side lines.

e

I’m testing the line as the others stand wisely out of the way in  case she slides or falls.

f

Adjusting the blocks on the sled.  She was pretty stable in this position with all four lines tight. As far as I could tell she didn’t flex at all while we did the turning.

g

A little further…

h

Once she was fairly stable on her side we moved her over on the sled by rocking her forward and aft until she was in the right spot.

 i

Jim and Eric lowered her down by letting out the lines a little, one at a time. Each line went through a pulley to a cleat, so they had pretty good control all the time. 

j

Moving the sled over to keep her centered in the tent.

k

Almost down! You can see Jim on the right letting the line out while Eric and I steady.

l

She’s upright! I’ve never had such a complicated series of tasks work so well, with few unforeseen problems. A lot of that is due to the thought and safety-consciousness of the guys helping.

m

After flipping, we had a great meal made by Meryll, drank lots of beer, and sat around for a while. Jim had to leave, so Eric and I spent a while leveling her with jack stands and various blocks.  Then we drank some more beer!

Bottom Paint

Filed under: Building - Before Flipping, Building - Painting — tomlarkin @ 12:47 pm

I rolled on 2 1/2 coats of red Interlux Micron CSC bottom paint using the ‘Rollerfoam’ rollers. It went on well, although pretty thick. The last half coat was as recommended on the can – adding extra protection to the high-wear areas at the stem and keel. I saved about a cup from the gallon for touchups when I launch.

I made the waterline about 1 1/4 inches above DWL. I hope it looks OK when the boat is in the water.

Bottom  Stem

The Silver is the New Black Theme. Blog at WordPress.com.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.