Boatbuilding Blog

April 29, 2010

Motor Mounting

Filed under: Building - Cabin, Hardware — tomlarkin @ 10:38 am

Three years ago when I was designing the outboard motor area I used my Honda 45 HP as a model. I made a full-size copy of the motor out of foam and designed the space around that. Since then I decided to use a larger motor – the Honda 60, which is the same motor as the 50 HP, but modified to put out more power. My thought being that a 50 horse motor should probably be about the same size as a 45 horse motor. Not exactly.

The new motor is quite a bit deeper fore and aft, and wider than the old motor. I made the well 18 inches wide, which is almost 4 inches wider than the old motor needed. The new motor only swung about 25 degrees before hitting the sides. It’s supposed to swing 30 degrees. I’m guessing this is a bad thing.  To be honest, I kind of planned for this way back when I was building this area – I assembled the sides of the well without fasteners in case I had to cut them down, which is exactly what I’m doing now.

So far I’ve cut out the starboard side so the motor will swing 29 degrees. I’ll finish the cutout this weekend so it will get all the way to 30 degrees, and then do the other side. I was really concerned that I’d end up cutting through the side into the space under the sole, but it looks like I’m safe from that. The finished area is going to look kind of, um, interesting, but I think it should work OK.

Here’s the area we’re talking about. The motor is in the neutral position in this picture. I bought the big plastic protractor and am marking the angles on the blue tape.
IMG_0429

The starboard-side cutout so far. I’ve removed a lot of wood, but it’s not structural.
IMG_0433

And the motor nested into the cutout. At this point it can swing 29 degrees – just a little more to remove to hit 30 degrees.:
IMG_0434

More Finishing Stuff

Filed under: Building - Cabin — tomlarkin @ 9:43 am

Continuing to fit out the interior.  We’re going to spend the night in the boat this weekend. Kind of like camping out in the back yard! The mattress is a standard double, with a very stiff wire frame. It was pretty painful trying to shoehorn it in through the door and into place. I have a ‘GoldenRod’ heater in the space under the mattress to keep it nice and dry.

This little table is at the foot of the bed:
table

Installed the mattress and bedding, and a cute little Persian rug:
bed

Reinstalling the DC electrical after painting the dash:
dash

Under the sink. Fresh water tank and pump. Main DC switch:
hoses

April 18, 2010

Unboxing the Honda

Filed under: Hardware — tomlarkin @ 12:24 pm

The box the motor came in was huge – as wide as the truck bed between the wheel wells, and so long I couldn’t close the tailgate. They loaded it with the help of three guys and a forklift. I was a little concerned about what I would do with it when I got it home. The motor weighs 250 pounds, and the box added at least 50 more.

I opened up the rear of the tent and realized it wasn’t going to fit in the space I had allocated for it, so I had to dismantle my glassing station , and I took the time to drag the old refrigerator to the dump. The fridge had been used to keep my epoxy warm in the winter – I punched a hole in the side and ran a small light inside. It had worked great, but I was done with it.

I slid the box out onto cushions and a couple of empty kitty litter boxes. The boxes crushed in slow motion when the motor landed on them, lowering the motor slowly to the cushions.
IMG_0393

Inside the cardboard box was a welded steel frame, bolted together. The motor mount was bolted to the frame, and encased in molded foam. A very professional packing job!
IMG_0402 

I carefully unbolted everything and moved the motor onto a dolly I made for the purpose – just 4 casters and a sheet of plywood. The motor head is on a cushion . Meryll came out to see if I’d crippled or killed myself yet.
IMG_0405

I went to Home Depot and bought a 12′ foot 2×8 and ran it across the tent above the stern of the boat where the motor needed to go, and made a little truck out of 3 small casters and plywood to ride on top of the beam. Then I rolled the dolly to the right spot and winched the motor up until it was standing up.  The motor has 2 steel hanging loops built in, just for this task.
IMG_0407

Unfortunately, the tent is too low for me to just lift the motor over the side of the boat, so I raised it as high as I could and then lifted the lower unit up over the gunnel. I rolled the truck toward the center of the boat, and lowered the thing into place. The lines are just a safety measure, in case the truck spontaneously disassembled itself.
IMG_0412

Lowering the motor into place, I realized the boat was too low for it to go down all the way so I cut out a chunk of the floor for the bottom of the motor to drop into.
IMG_0416 

I clamped the motor mount into place and drilled the four mounting holes, the moved the motor out of the way to coat the holes with neat epoxy. Tomorrow I mount the thing!
IMG_0418

A New View

Filed under: Building - Cabin — tomlarkin @ 11:49 am

I had to dismantle the street side of the boatbuilding tent to get the motor in. This allowed me to stand back further than usual to take a picture. Looks good!  That’s the motor box in the lower right of the picture.

IMG_0398

The Silver is the New Black Theme. Blog at WordPress.com.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.