The box the motor came in was huge – as wide as the truck bed between the wheel wells, and so long I couldn’t close the tailgate. They loaded it with the help of three guys and a forklift. I was a little concerned about what I would do with it when I got it home. The motor weighs 250 pounds, and the box added at least 50 more.
I opened up the rear of the tent and realized it wasn’t going to fit in the space I had allocated for it, so I had to dismantle my glassing station , and I took the time to drag the old refrigerator to the dump. The fridge had been used to keep my epoxy warm in the winter – I punched a hole in the side and ran a small light inside. It had worked great, but I was done with it.
I slid the box out onto cushions and a couple of empty kitty litter boxes. The boxes crushed in slow motion when the motor landed on them, lowering the motor slowly to the cushions.
Inside the cardboard box was a welded steel frame, bolted together. The motor mount was bolted to the frame, and encased in molded foam. A very professional packing job!
I carefully unbolted everything and moved the motor onto a dolly I made for the purpose – just 4 casters and a sheet of plywood. The motor head is on a cushion . Meryll came out to see if I’d crippled or killed myself yet.
I went to Home Depot and bought a 12′ foot 2×8 and ran it across the tent above the stern of the boat where the motor needed to go, and made a little truck out of 3 small casters and plywood to ride on top of the beam. Then I rolled the dolly to the right spot and winched the motor up until it was standing up. The motor has 2 steel hanging loops built in, just for this task.
Unfortunately, the tent is too low for me to just lift the motor over the side of the boat, so I raised it as high as I could and then lifted the lower unit up over the gunnel. I rolled the truck toward the center of the boat, and lowered the thing into place. The lines are just a safety measure, in case the truck spontaneously disassembled itself.
Lowering the motor into place, I realized the boat was too low for it to go down all the way so I cut out a chunk of the floor for the bottom of the motor to drop into.
I clamped the motor mount into place and drilled the four mounting holes, the moved the motor out of the way to coat the holes with neat epoxy. Tomorrow I mount the thing!