Boatbuilding Blog

July 12, 2008

Starting the Cabin

Filed under: Building - Cabin — tomlarkin @ 12:33 pm

I’m really happy to be building the cabin. It’s finally starting to look like the boat I’ve been imagining all these months.  I started assembling it last weekend and should finish by the end of this weekend (not including the roofs of course).  It’s a really interesting exercise in non-square angles and subtle oddities, while trying to keep everything symmetrical and esthetically pleasing. The main change to the plans is that the pilothouse is lengthened by 8 inches (see the mockup entry). To reduce the blank space at the aft end, I’m thinking of making the side windows 1 1/2 inches wider than the plan.  Building the mockup a couple of weeks ago really helped me. I have a fairly clear mental image of what I want it to look like.

It’s all 3/4 inch Oukoume, fastened to the deck structure with 3″ stainless screws on 4″ centers, as well as the full 4-layer glassing and fillet schedule I used on the bulkheads. Corners are fastened with 2 1/2 inch stainless screws 4 inches apart. The corners will be rounded and glassed. All edge joined panels are fastened with biscuits on 6 inch centers.

I’ve left off this one panel so I can climb in and out easily for a while.

View from the Port stern

I’ll post more pictures at the end of the weekend when there’s more progress.

Meanwhile I’m making a laminating jig for the cabin tops. They will be 3 layers of 1/4 inch ply. I’d really like to completely finish the inside before installing. Finishing overhead just doesn’t seem like it would be much fun.  There’s just some scrap in the jig picture below to see how it bends. I’m concerned about springback. I added 3/4 inch shims to the outsides so the laminated pieces will be curved more than they need to be on the assumption they will flatten out when removed from the mold. If they get flatter than the needed arch, I would have a very hard time getting them bent again. It should be easier to over-curve the pieces and ‘unbend’ them in place if necessary.  It’s going to have to be a trial and error process, with expensive materiel 🙂

Roof formin jig

July 5, 2008

Miscellaneous Progress

Filed under: Building - After Flipping, Building - Cabin — tomlarkin @ 10:38 am

I’ve been busy the past few weeks,on various projects to get the boat ready to build the cabin.  I’ve faired and coated the inside of the hull and decks. It’s a lot easier now then after the cabin is on. If I use every weekend and all my vacation days, I’ll be able go get in about 30 work days before the end of September. That should be enough to finish the exterior, including paint. I’ll spend the winter wiring and fitting out, for a launch in the spring.

Dry-fitting the rubrails. The hull is shiny from a new coat of epoxy that needs to be sanded before the primer is applied. I fitted the rubrails now so I could patch any incorrect holes without messing up the final coat.
Port side rubrail   The bow is looking nice  Stern 

I’m thinking of making the cabin tops from 1/4-inch tongue-and-groove boards inside, with 2 layers of 1/4-inch ply laminated on the outside. Here’s a double-sided jig to build the cabin tops.  First, epoxy the boards together on the female side of the mold. After they set up, remove them and flip the mold over. Lay the boards on the male side, finished side down, and laminate the plywood on. Cut the top to fit, finish it completely, and drop it on the cabin, either with epoxy or Sikaflex  and screws.
One-inch MDF forms  Finished mold with a sample glued together  Tongue-and-groove overhead sample

I added the arched piece to finish the aft end of the aft cabin. It’s my first cabin part.  I used my new biscuit joiner. It worked as well as I hoped.  I’m not worried about the strength of this joint – the piece is supported on all sides. 
Biscuits!  Biscuit joiner  Aft of the cabin from the stern  Rain explores the chain locker